I bought a new Cisco LINKSYS WRT120N wireless router and noticed that reset button is not working properly in it. That means if I press and hold the reset button to reset the router settings to factory defaults, it is not working. After some troubleshooting, I figured out the problem and fixed it. The solution here is to upgrade the firmware of the wireless router to latest version.
To do this, follow below steps.
- Download latest firmware for WRT120N wireless router from Cisco site(http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT120N ) and save to disk
- Now takeout the router power -> Hold the reset button -> Connect the power
- Now connect a network cable from your computer to port#1 of wireless router. To surprise you here, the LED#4 glows though you connected the cable to port#1. Don’t worry…. This is not much to bother
- Open browser in your computer and go to http://192.168.1.1
- A window appears asks you to input the firmware file. Here select the file and click on reset
- This upgrades the firmware version to latest and now you can use the regular method for resetting the password to factory settings by holding the reset key. The reset key should work now as expected
Feel free to write in comments section if you have some questions.